EBOOK LIBERATION GUIDE AND INFO
- Find Ebooks and Papers
- Liberate Ebooks and Papers
- Share Ebooks and Papers if you liberated them!
EDIT: You may want to use this now: Anna's Archive'
Here are a list of online libraries and other resources to check when looking for an ebook sorted into categories:
- Easy Libraries - No signup required under any circumstance, accessible with any browser.
- Hidden Libraries - No signup required under any circumstance, accessible with the Tor Browser.
- Restricted Libraries - Signup may be required under some circumstances, accessible with any browser.
- Restricted Hidden Libraries - Signup may be required under some circumstances, accessible with the Tor Browser.
- Other - Specialized libraries or things which aren't strictly libraries, but rather places like torrent searches which might also have what you are looking for. Make sure to torrent with a VPN like bitmask and avoid using just any old torrent client which can have spyware and use either transmission or deluge instead. Safe torrenting instructions are outside the scope of this guide.
- Sci-Hub - Scientific publications (research papers, etc)
- Arxiv - Scientific publications (research papers, etc) (blocks Tor)
- ambry.pw - A library genesis mirror - general (formerly libgen.pw)
- Libgen.io - An updating list of library genesis mirrors - general
- gen.lib.rus.ec - A library genesis mirror - general
- en.bookfi.net - general (blocks Tor connections with cloudflare)
- OpenLibra - mostly math and programming
- WikiBooks - general
- Project Gutenberg - general - mostly old books
Restricted Hidden Libraries:
- ZLibrary - A Tor mirror of b-ok, general
Here is a list of various tools which can be used to liberate a proprietary ebook of various forms.
You need a copy, so go ahead and buy it, then release it on one of the above sites and pass on the favor.
- These days, first off, make sure you don't want to be using Dangerzone which is just the best tool for working with converting any kinds of documents to PDF (Dangerzone site).
This list is pretty outdated...
Apprentice Alf's Blog - All about stripping DRM from various EBook file formats (can be non-trivial)
- DeDRM_tools (latest, local_mirror)
- liberate B&N, Kindle, Adobe, Kobo, and a few other formats
- Convert Lit - Convert Microsoft Reader format EBooks into open format
- Requiem - Convert iTunes EBooks into open format
(this software is propietary and Windows/OSX only, very sketchy, find and use at own risk)
- ebook-liberator - Linux program I made that compiles a PDF using an automated screenshot process - VERY FLEXIBLE, easy to use.
- bookcap - Quick Windows autohotkey script that screenshots all the pages in an ebook and saves them to a folder. - README
Share Your Newly Liberated Work!
If you find yourself in a position to be behind a paywall as a result of employment or enrollment, or used one of the liberation tools
above to free a work that was previously not publicly available, please share what you have managed to successfully de-corporatify!
Here is a list with different categories of genres of content you may have newfound access to and where I would recommend uploading them to
ensure everyone in the future has access. Generally uploading to one of the library genesis mirrors will ensure it propogates forever,
but if you want to make sure upload it somewhere else too (after making sure it didn't mirror automatically). Make sure to respect the rules
of any site you upload to by carefully reviewing their instructions as well as carefully review every option in the uploader
since you usually cannot edit the entry you uploaded afterwards. If you are uploading an academic resource not on scihub I recommend
Library Genesis nonfiction.
Be aware that uploading to any one of these resources over clearet (not using Tor, a proxy, or a VPN) is detectable and can get you
in trouble with your ISP or your local network administrator. Upload securely and anonymously for your own safety. At the moment there
is not any evidence I am aware of which points to publishers using stenography
to identify who dowloaded or accessed liberated works, but in the future as digital media goes the way of the
printer and the phone camera
I may need to update this with a tool to strip any hidden tracking data in liberated files before uploading.
Last updated September 29, 12020 Human Era by thufie
- General: Including nonfiction, textbooks, and technical guides
- Upload to Library Genesis using the username: genesis and password: upload to access the interface
- Upload to Libgen.io using the username: genesis and password: upload to access the interface
- Upload to b-ok.org
- Leftism, Anarchism, Praxis, Environmentalism, or Sociology: Just upload here to The Anarchist Library